SUNSHINE VILLAGE HISTORICAL SNOWSHOE AND FONDUE TOUR
Let Sunshine Village’s local guides take you off the beaten track, deep into the heart of Banff National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and surrounded by 360 degree panoramic alpine views. Walk along the path Canada’s First Nations people took to trade with neighbouring tribes, and listen to stories of first discovery from European explorers. Put yourself in their (snow)shoes.
PART OF THE CANADIAN TOURISM COMMISSION’S SIGNATURE EXPERIENCES COLLECTION
Sunshine’s historical snowshoe tour provides a unique rocky mountain experience through untouched powder deep into Sunshine Meadows, a location renowned for beauty and immense Rocky Mountain surroundings. The experience culminates indoors at the Sunshine Mountain Lodge’s Chimney Corner Lounge and Wine Bar with a traditional Swiss-style cheese fondue.
Immerse yourself into an authentic winter alpine experience in a location rich in Canadian history.
Sunshine Village Historical Snowshoe and Fondue Tours take approximately 4.5 hours from Banff and 3.5 hours from the Sunshine Village base.
Hot chocolate and cookies will be provided on the trail, followed by a traditional Swiss-style cheese and vegetable fondue in the Chimney Corner Lounge and Wine Bar.
Dates, ages, times:
Available Tuesday through Saturday, December 18, 2014 through May 19, 2015 and daily from December 19, 2014 through January 4, 2015.
Ages: 12 and over
Abilities: All ability levels
Snowshoe: Tour Times: 12:15 p.m. pick-up in Banff
how to book:
Sunshine Village Historical Snowshoe and Fondue Tours are $120 per person and must be booked 48 hours in advance (minimum groups of six).
- Sunshine’s snowshoe tour starts at the top of Mount Standish at Sunshine Village Ski Resort accessible by gondola access, then chairlift.
- The tour will take you out of Sunshine Village to untouched powder in Sunshine Meadows, which is flanked by some of the highest peaks in the Canadian Rockies.
- No trip is ever the same with guides taking travellers on an untouched powder adventure towards beautiful ice-covered, Rock Isle Lake.
- Experience the full winter adventure by jumping into snow pillows and dive into deep powder while experiencing 360 degree Canadian Rocky Mountain Views.
- The Sunshine Meadows are known by many as the most stunning alpine setting in the Canadian Rockies. Situated at an average elevation of 2,180 metres (7,300 feet), the meadows straddle the Continental Divide and the boundary between Alberta and British Columbia.
- The tour provides exceptional views of Mt. Assiniboine, known as the Matterhorn of the Canadian Rockies.